Chocolate Eclair Ring
Submitted by: janedoiron | Source: http://makeaheadmealsforbusymoms.blogspot.com/2009/11/this-months-newsletter-recipe.html
- Servings: 10 - 12
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 70 minutes
|½ cup||Salted Butter|
|1 cup||All Purpose Flour|
|2||(3.4 Oz.) Packages Instant Vanilla Pudding|
|1¼ cups||1% Milk|
|1½ cups||Heavy Cream|
|2 tsp||Salted Butter|
|2 oz||Unsweetened Chocolate Squares|
|2 cups||Confectioner's Sugar, sifted|
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the water and butter in a medium saucepan and heat on high until the water boils. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the flour and salt. Stir briskly until the mixture can be pressed into a ball of dough. Mix in the eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly blended.
2. Spray a large cookie sheet with nonstick spray. Drop mounds of the mixture in a circle. Spread the batter into a nice circle shape, but be careful that you don't flatten the batter too much or the ring will not rise well when it bakes.
3. Bake the ring for 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the ring in the hot oven for 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. Use 2 spatulas to lift the ring carefully to a wire rack to cool.
4. While the ring is cooling, prepare the filling. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the pudding, milk, and heavy cream on low-medium speed until thickened (about 3 - 4 minutes). Refrigerate the filling until you are ready to spread it on the ring.
5. When the ring is completely cooled, carefully slice the ring in half so you can remove the top. (Be very careful when sliding the top off to the side.) Spread the pudding evenly on the bottom ring. Carefully place the top ring back over the pudding. Slide the whole ring onto a large serving plate.
6. For the icing: On low heat, melt the butter and chocolate in a medium saucepan. Remove the pan from the heat and add the confectioner's sugar. Add the water and mix thoroughly until smooth. Spread the icing evenly on top of the ring. Refrigerate (uncovered) until the icing hardens. Then cover lightly with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated.