Grandma Rodocker's Old Fashioned Ice Box Cake
Submitted by: judyjellybean | Source: My Great Grandma Lillian Rodocker
- Servings: depends on how large servings are cut.
|2 pkgs||Bar Type Coconut Macaroon Cookies, the kind with ridges on the cookies) (i found them at a dollar tree store, they are just like the ones my mom used when she made this cake.|
|1||Envelope Knox Gelatin|
|½ cup||Boiling Water|
|½ cup||Cold Water|
|½ cup||Pecans, finely chopped|
|6||Egg Whites, beaten stiff (* see note|
|1 pt||Whipping Cream, whipped|
|1 cup||White Grapes, peeled and cut in half|
|*note: If Using Raw Egg White Is An Issue Wilton's Meringue Powder Can Be Used In Place of The Egg Whites.|
|2 tsp||Meringue Powder + 2 Tbsp. Water = 1 Egg White.|
|Just Measure The Amount of Meringue Powder & Water To Equal 6 Egg Whites & Beat Until Soft Peaks Form, add vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.|
1. Place gelatin in large bowl, add 1/2 c. boiling water, stir until dissolved. Add sugar, stir until dissolved. Add cold water, stir. Set aside to cool.
2. Place a good size piece of foil on bottom and run it up and around the sides of a springform pan. (The filling will weep slightly this will keep if from running all over the refrigerator.)
3. Line the springform pan with whole cookies (stand cookies on end all the way around the inside edge of pan with ridges facing outward, set aside.
4. Crush 2nd package of cookies into fine crumbs, set aside.
5. Chop pecans until finely chopped, set aside
6. Peel grapes and cut in half, remove any visable seeds, set aside.
7. Beat whipping cream, place in fridge until needed.
8. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, add vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form, place in fridge until needed.
9. To gelatin mixture add chopped pecans nuts and peeled grapes. Fold in beaten eggs whites and whipped cream. Folding until throughly combined, while being careful not to deflate mixture.
10. Spoon into prepared springform pan. Smooth out top and sprinkle cookie crumbs on top.
11. Cover top with foil. Place in coldest part of fridge for at least 24 hrs.
12. To serve, remove springform ring being careful not to disturb cookies. Each cookie is a slice of cake.
When my Mom used to make this cake she used an angelfood springform pan. If using the angelfood springform pan, line the cookies around the tube that forms the hole also.